Fares - Effective July 1, 2013
- All passengers not eligible for a discount
- Seniors age 60 & older with ID
- Youth without student ID
- Persons with Disabilities with disability ID card issued by the County Mass Transit Agency.
- Hawaii students grades Kindergarten to 12 with valid school ID.
- Hawaii College/University students with valid school ID.
| Baggage (only for bikes & pets in carry cases):
with monthly bus pass--no charge for bicycles)
|$1.00 each||$1.00 each (Seniors age 60 & older)|
|Children 4 & under with a fare paying passenger||Free||Free|
| One transfer to another direct route
(within 2 hours, NO stop overs & NO round trips)
**Fares are one-way only.
**Cash only. Please have exact change--bus operator & farebox do not make change.
Passengers deboarding at Hawai'i Volcanos National Park will have a $12.00 per pedestrian or bicycle entry fee be paid by the passenger directly to the park. The Hawaii Volcanoes National Park entry fee is valid for seven days. This fare is on top of the regular bus fare and any applicable additional fares paid.
County of Hawai’i Mass Transit Agency Disability Identification application may be obtained at Mass Transit Office, 2299 Ho'olaulima Road, Hilo, HI or the Mo'oheau Bus Terminal Information Center, 329 Kamehameha Avenue, Hilo, HI 96720.
- Application for Disability Identification Card
- County of Hawai’i Mass Transit Agency Disability Discount Identification Card Initial Fee - Free
- County of Hawai’i Mass Transit Agency Disability Discount Identification Card Replacement Fee - $1.00. Up to three cards issued in a one year period and cards are valid for up to a three year period.
Transfers Between Hele-On Routes
Transfers are good for two hours from the time you depart from the bus. Transfers are valid only if you will be transferring onto another bus whose route will travel to another destination.
Example: You are on the Kona/Hilo route and you need to go to the Pohoiki-Pahoa-Hilo route bus. Please announce your destination to the bus operator to determine if a transfer will be issued or not.
Transfers are not issued or accepted on the next route if you are making a stopover, attempting to travel round trip, using the transfer on the same route that it was issued from, using a transfer in a location where the route that you are coming from does not connect to the route that you are boarding or to reverse direction on a different route. Passengers transferring to a third bus are required to pay another fare and baggage fares if applicable. The transfer issued only provides one free transfer.
Prohibit carry-on items include canoe paddles, surfboards, body boards, fishing poles (unless in a case), diving guns, spears and any items with a motor, gas cans, etc.
Hele-On Monthly Pass
Monthly passes are available for purchase. Lost bus passes will not be replaced. Copy of Proper I.D. required with order form Note: Monthly passes are valid only for the month issued with no grace period. Passes are good for unlimited bus rides on all bus routes throughout the month they are purchased for.
|Seniors Over 60, Disabled, Students – Proper I.D. Required||$45.00/each|
Hele-On Bus Tickets
Bus tickets are available for purchase. Lost bus tickets will not be replaced. Bus tickets have no expiration date. One ticket per boarding will be charged when using tickets. Copy of Proper I.D. required with order form. Below is a table of the costs of bus tickets per sheet of 10 tickets.
|Seniors Over 60, Disabled, Students – Proper I.D. Required||$7.50/sheet|
Hele-On Shared Ride Taxi Fares
The Shared Ride Taxi Program Fares
|0.1 to 4.0 miles|| 1 coupon
|4.1 to 9.0 miles|| 2 coupons
The Shared Ride Taxi Program Coupon Book Fares
| 15 Coupon Book
| 10 Coupon Book
| 5 Coupon Book
| 1 Coupon
- Program is open to all participants.
- Up to 15 coupons can be sold to one passenger per week with valid ID card.
- Coupons are non transferable and non-refundable.
- Coupons expire at the expiration date printed on the coupon.
Where to Purchase Bus Tickets, Shared Ride Taxi Coupons and Bus Passes
Bus tickets, Shared Ride Taxi coupons and/or monthly passes can be purchased at the following locations:
- County of Hawai'i Mass Transit Agency Office, 2299 Ho'olaulima Road, Hilo, HI, (808) 961-8744
- Mo'oheau Bus Terminal Information Center 329 Kamehemeha Avenue, Hilo, HI 96720, (808) 969-3163
If ordering by mail, please include your check or money order (made payable to Director of Finance), including your return address, and send to:
County of Hawai'i Mass Transit Agency
25 Aupuni Street
Hilo, HI 96720
If information is needed in another language, interpretation services are available and can be requested by contacting the Transit Office at (808) 961-8744.